The Luzerne Conservation District Board of Directors will meet on the second Thursday of each month at 6:00 PM at the District’s Office.
2016 MEETING DATES: January 7, February 11, March 10, April 14, May 12, June 9, July 14, August 11, September 8, October 13, November 10, December 8
LOCATION: 325 Smiths Pond Rd, Shavertown, PA 18708
The public is welcome to attend.
You are cordially invited to attend one of two Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program
(CREP) Outreach Meetings sponsored by the Luzerne Conservation District, Luzerne County Farm Service Agency, Natural Resource Conservation Service, PA Association of Conservation Districts, and PA DEP.
The purpose of the meetings is to:
- Provide information on CREP owner and land eligibility, cropping history requirements, etc.
- Provide information on maintaining CREP farms with mowing and herbicide applications – the best times to spray, when to complete soil tests, etc.
- Review different program practices such as cool season grass establishment, riparian buffers, etc.
- Answer questions from landowners.
The first 25 respondents before the deadline will receive a Free Agronomy Guide and Soil Test Kit.
Date: December 30, 2015
Place: Back Mountain Regional EMA Bldg. on Route 118 Dallas, PA
Time: 10:00-12:00 PM
Lunch will be served at 12:00 PM
RSVP no later than December 23, 2015 by calling 570-779-0732 (ext. 2)
Date: January 6, 2016
Place: Nescopeck State Park Environmental Education Center
Time: 10:00-12:00 PM
Lunch will be served at 12:00 PM
RSVP no later than December 31, 2015 by calling 570-779-0732 (ext. 2)
The Luzerne Conservation District will be accepting bids for construction of stream stabilization projects at two sites, one on Big Wapwallopen Creek in Hollenback Township and one on Little Nescopeck Creek, Sugarloaf Township, Luzerne County. Full bid packages and supporting information are available HERE. There will be mandatory site showings on Wednesday, 9/30/15 beginning at 10:00 AM. Bids will be accepted until 10:00 AM on Wednesday, 10/7/15.
- Cover Crop Diversities
- Soil Compaction
- Zone Tilled Peppers
- Beneficial Pests
- Inter-seeder Demo Plots
- Experienced Farmer Panel
Pesticide credits are available, and a farm fresh dinner will be provided.
Please RSVP to Amy Salansky at 570-779-0732 extension 110 by September 10, 2015.
A team of students from Greater Nanticoke Area High School took first place at this year’s Luzerne County Envirothon. The 36th Annual Luzerne County Envirothon was held on April 29, 2015 at the Luzerne County Fair Grounds near Dallas. Nearly 170 students representing 34 teams from 9 different schools competed in the event with GNA’s Team-A, Wyoming Area’s Team-B, and MMI Preparatory School’s Team-A all tying with an overall score of 341 points. The pre-determined tie-breaker was the Forestry scores, and GNA’s Team A had the highest score of 64 points. The following teams placed second and third respectively in this year’s county event: Wyoming Area High School’s Team A and MMI Preparatory School’s Team A. The Greater Nanticoke Area team will go on to compete at the PA State Envirothon at the University of Pittsburgh Johnstown and Windber Recreation Park on May 19 and 20.
There are two upcoming events for municipalities interested in the district’s Dirt, Gravel, & Low Volume Roads Program. The program provides grants to municipalities for environmental sensitive maintenance/repair practices on dirt, gravel and low-volume paved roads.
- April 30th: General Informational Meeting about recent changes to the Roads Program and upcoming grant opportunities.
- The meeting will be held at the Back Mountain Regional Emergency Management Agency building on State Route 118 near Dallas.
- Start time: 9:00 AM
- Registration is free, but attendees must register by contacting Mike Schlauch at email@example.com or 570-779-0732 ext. 104 no later than Friday April 24, 2015.
- Coffee and doughnuts will be provided.
- May 26th-27th: Environmentally Sensitive Maintenance Training at the Woodlands Inn & Resort in Wilkes-Barre
- In order to be eligible for consideration, grant applicants must have a representative who has attended this training within the last 5 years in order to be eligible for funding.
- The person overseeing the implementation of the road project should have ESM training.
- Click here for more information about the training and to register online.
- To check if your representative’s training is still valid (within the last 5 years), contact Mike Schlauch at 570-779-0732 ext. 104
Our friends at the Nanticoke Conservation Club are sponsoring a Kid’s Trout Fishing Day on Saturday, May 16, 2015. It will be held on Harvey’s Creek along Route 29 at the large pull off area approximately 1.5 miles from Route 11 in West Nanticoke. Preregistration is required for the event, which is open to children 15 and under. They will stock brook trout in the designated area and allow CHILDREN ONLY to fish for 3 trout.
- The cost is free. The club will be selling hotdogs and sodas for $1 each.
- There will be a registration limit on the number of children set at 100 participants.
- The event begins at 8:00 am., with staggered start times for all children based on age brackets: 8:00 am for 7 years of age and under, 8:30 am for ages 11 to 8, and 9:00 am for 15 to 12 years of age. Start times are staggered only, ALL children may continue to fish throughout the morning.
- Children must be supervised by an adult while fishing. The adult does not require a PA trout stamp while assisting children.
- Club members will be available with nets as required.
- Bait will be supplied for this event for free.
- Please arrive a half hour before your child’s start time for check in.
To register, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org :
Child’s name and age
Adult’s name and phone number
Additional emergency contact and phone number