The Luzerne Conservation District’s Watershed Specialist administers the Watershed Stewardship Program in Luzerne County. The Watershed Specialist position is partially funded by a Growing Greener grant through the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. The specialist focuses efforts on improving the quality of the county’s surface and ground water through the protection and enhancement of natural systems within the watershed.
Some of the functions and activities of the program:
- aids in the formation and operation of watershed associations, conservation groups, and coalitions
- provides technical assistance related to watersheds and water resources to landowners, municipalities, and private organizations
- procures funding for and administers watershed restoration projects
- provides watershed education programs to various age groups
- helps direct and influence local conservation issues by advising and participating on various committees and boards