When is an E&S Plan needed?

  • State law requires that an Erosion and Sediment Pollution Control (E&SPC) Plan, which meets the requirements of Chapter 102 (Erosion and Sediment Control Regulations), be properly designed, implemented, and available on site for all earth disturbance activities that disturb 5,000 square feet or more.  (But for projects with less than an acre of earth disturbance, the District does not need to review and approve the E&SPC plan, unless the municipality requires it or certain DEP permits are required for the project.)
  • Earth disturbance over 1 acre in size requires a district-approved E&SPC plan and NPDES (National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System) permit.
  • The District can require an E&SPC plan if there is a complaint and/or a problem on the site.


Please Note:

A review fee is charged for all reviews performed by the district.

An E&SPC plan is not considered public information until it has been deemed administratively complete by the District.